In honor of Earth Day 2012 below are a few quick and easy ways to start greening your beauty & style routine:
* Buy shampoo & conditioner in "pro" sizes to cut down on the amount of plastic bottles you use. Aveda does a great job informing their clients of the cost savings and the environmental impact of this practice.
* Instead of bottled body wash use bar soap to cut down on packaging. I adore Beekman 1802 goat milk soaps.
* Be as vigilant about recycling your personal care bottles and jars as you are about your food and beverage packaging. Some brands offer an incentive for turning in old products. Kiehls & MAC have fab programs right now.
* Patronize socially conscious companies and buy from trusted stores and websites. For beauty products I look to Saffron Rouge & Whole Body at Whole Foods for their fantastic selection and high standards. As for clothing and accessories Eco Fashion World offers a list of ethical fashion brands.
* I try my very best to avoid plastic bags as much as possible so I always carry at least one reusable shopping bag with me. I am a HUGE fan of Baggu bags because they fold down into tidy, lightweight squares. I also love Envirosax and RuMe bags. All three companies offer multiple sizes in pretty colors and patterns, are easily washed and super durable.
Happy Earth Day!